For over 50 years, Waters Corporation has developed innovative analytical science solutions to support customer discoveries, operations, performance, and regulatory compliance. Specifically, the company designs, manufactures, sells, and services high performance liquid chromatography, ultra performance liquid chromatography, and mass spectrometry technology systems and support products primarily in the United States, Europe, Japan, and Asia. Our innovations enable significant advancements within the pharmaceutical, life science, biochemical, industrial, food safety, environmental, academic and government industries. Waters is a publicly traded corporation (NYSE:WAT) with more than 6,500 employees and is represented in over 100 countries around the world.
Waters Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer position represents an exciting opportunity for an experienced R&D Engineer with a developed background in CAD and PLM systems to create next generation products for chromatography in the areas of HPLC, UPLC, UHPLC, SPC, Affinity, and SPE consumable devices.
This position requires strong experience in product design, DOE & RCA skills, data analysis and project management, leading to the responsibility to share knowledge and mentor junior engineers. As a Principal Mechanical Engineer, you will be a key contributor to Marketing, Project Management, and Manufacturing groups as novel products progress through our phase gate development process to commercialization.
This position offers an excellent opportunity to grow both professionally and scientifically and to work collaboratively with project team members from research groups, manufacturing, materials science and marketing to enhance Waters position in a highly dynamic market.
- Provide lead engineering role in the design of novel fluidic devices such as HPLC, UPLC, UHPLC, SPC, Affinity and SPE devices utilizing CAD/PLM systems.
- Coordinate and lead transfer of new products and procedures into manufacturing.
- Conduct research and development on next generation consumable products, collaborating with R&D groups, Marketing and Chemistry groups.
- Provide sound engineering advice to product development teams throughout the phase gate development process, including the areas of risk analysis, project planning and transfer into manufacturing.
- Provide engineering expertise in design practice, project leadership and mentoring of junior engineers.
- Provide technical representation for Chemistry as technical expert for both across the organization and for external companies.
- Evaluate new and existing intellectual property to determine unique opportunities for Waters products to fill customers needs.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering with 3+ years in the design of fluidic devices for separations; MS in Mechanical Engineering with 7+ years experience in the design of fluidic devices for separations; BS in Mechanical Engineering with 12+ years of experience in the design of fluidic devices for separations.
- Understanding of chromatography separation mechanisms and knowledge of appropriate materials of construction for separation devices, preferably consumables.
- CAD/PLM system experience, preferably Solidworks and/or NX and preferably SAP
- Desire and demonstrated mentoring skills leading to junior engineers/coops as direct reports(s)
- Familiarity with Systems Engineering
- Demonstrated experience in the design, development and transfer of new products into a manufacturing environment.
- Proven track record of problem solving and learning agility.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Ability to plan and organize work load and multiple projects to achieve desired goals.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Desire and demonstrated ability to successfully lead complex projects.